The United Nations CSD mutli year program of work is separated into thematic clusters, whereby topics the subject of focus on a bi-annual basis.
The 2010/2011 cycle contains five major themes :
- Waste Management
- A ten year framework of programmes on sustainable consumption and production patterns
Although the 5 topics listed are key focus points that could involve anything from Manchester skip hire to public transport in Paris, there are also an ever present list of cross cutting issues that span the united nations CSD bi-annual cycles. Namely :
- Poverty Eradication
- Changing unsustainable patterns of consumption and production
- Protecting and managing the natural resource base of social and economic development
- Sustainable development in a globalizing world
- Health & sustainable development
- Sustainanble development of SIDS
- Sustainable development of Africa
- Other regional initiatives and means of implementation
- Institutional framework for sustainable development
- Gender equality and Education.
The ten year framework of programmes on sustainable consumption and production prepared by the Marrakech Process Secretariat UNDESA and UNEP 3rd draft was released for public comment in September 2009. This is a living document developed in consultation with regions and stakeholders throughour the CSD 18-19 cycle in 2010-11.
All groups and stakeholders are invited to submit comments on programmes that would be needed to address remaining constraints and obstacles to change unsustainable patterns of consumption and production